Tuesday, June 25, 2019

"Toadally" Awesome by Guest Designer Adam



Hello Crafting Peeps,
Today’s card is for the White Rose Crafts June theme of summer/summertime. I am using the Lawn Fawn – Toadally Awesome stamp set.  The following list of supplies can be found on the White Rose Crafts website.
Supplies:
Lawn Fawn – Toadally Awesome stamp set
                       Polka in the Meadow paper
                       Gotta Have Gingham paper
White and yellow cardstock
Copic Markers – greens and browns
Silver thread/seed beads


I like to start by stamping all my images in black on white cardstock and cutting them out which I did but decided to add a new twist to my coloring or lack of.  I stamped the frogs on Lawn Fawn –  Polka in the Meadow paper green and yellow to use as my coloring. I glued the green to the white cardstock and then the yellow bellies to the green. (paper piecing)  I then colored the logs and cattails with Copic markers.

Now I am ready to create the card base and layer one. First I made a yellow card base.
Then I cut a layer one (4” x 5 ¼”) in white cardstock and a light blue gingham layer one from Lawn Fawn – Gotta Have Gingham paper to be the background of the opening. I die cut a square into the white cardstock layer. I cut a white frame the same size as the opening to frame the opening.

The next step is to create the simulated waterfall effect. I used two frame cuts the same as the opening and lined the top and bottom with double sided tape. I cut up silver sewing thread and strung it across the opening using the tape to hold the string in place. Now for the time consuming part: I did not have a sewing needle that would clear the opening in the seed beads so I had to painstakingly thread all the tiny (and I mean tiny) seed beads onto all the thread pieces. I added beads randomly in water colors and various amounts to give the appearance of water falling down the card when moving the card back and forth. I placed the second frame on top of the thread and this sealed the thread and beads.

Yeah, have all the hard stuff done! Now I can assemble the card. Put the gingham layer onto the card base. Placed the waterfall in the frame layer next, added the white layer on top and proceeded to assemble the frog scene. I arranged the pieces until I was happy with the look and taped the pieces together on the back. I then added the frog scene into the framed waterfall opening and the card was almost complete. I stamped the sentiment onto some to the yellow polka dot paper and added it to the card front using foam tape. My final step was to add a few sequins and now I am finished!
I must admit I am happy with the completed look but will say the waterfall effect was very time consuming.  I hope you will give the waterfall technique a try.
Please check out White Rose Crafts when shopping for your crafting needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We at White Rose welcome your comments and questions, but please keep them clean and kind! Thanks!