Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Sleep to Dream Art Journal Page

 Hello! Alison Heikkila here. Today I have an art journal page to share that uses 2 Gel Press prints I made during my last FB Live for White Rose Crafts, as well as a number of products that are available in the White Rose Crafts Shop. If you'd like to check out the FB Live, please click HERE.

I wanted to use a few of my Gel Press prints with the Cosmos paper pad from Stamperia. I chose two that I thought coordinated well and I tore the edges.

I painted my background with some cool colored paints from DecoArt Media and Golden. You can't see it here, but I mixed some Interference Gold with the Turquoise to make it shimmery.

Next, I applied the 2 prints with Matte Medium. The stencil used on the print on the left is AALL & Create's #85 Abundance Stencil. The one on the right uses Studio Light's Cogs & Gears.

This is the point where I start to play. I've gotten my background painted and the large, focal images down, so now it's time to choose smaller images and to add additional colors. I picked 2 tags from the Cosmos pad and I cut them out. I even used the excess paper that was around the tags and added them here and there on the spread. I added some bright colors that didn't quite work, but added a nice punch of color...so as I progressed through the process, I dulled those colors down and worked other mediums on top of them.

I decided I needed some texture, so I took out Stamperia's Pasta Scultura, mixed with Prussian Blue acrylic paint and added it to the AALL & Create Spiral Checked Stencil. I added parts of this stencil to 3 areas on this layout, and I scraped up any excess and simply added it to the edges with my palette knife.I added more paint (using assorted brushes and my fingers), plus some clear embossing powder here and there for shine. I also added the Lotza Trianglz stencil here and there.

Here is the completed left side. You can see the shine on top from the embossing powder. I love all the texture and the various colors. The gel print seems to have completely blended into the background that it doesn't even look like I added it on top of the pages.

I wasn't sure what I was going to journal on this page when I started...but towards the end of the process the song "Sleep to Dream" by Fiona Apple popped into my head and I thought it was perfect. I wrote part of the chorus on the right page.

Here is the finished spread. There's so much to look at and lots of cool layers. I may add a bit more embossing powder, but i haven't decided yet. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I hope you’ll visit White Rose Crafts because they have so many cool products that can be used on art journal pages like this. And, hang out with us in the White Rose Crafts Gallery on FB! Thanks so much for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We at White Rose welcome your comments and questions, but please keep them clean and kind! Thanks!