Saturday, May 15, 2021

Altered Playing Card- Light Bulb

 Hello! Alison Heikkila here. I have been altering playing cards lately. It's a fun way to make quick projects, use up scraps, and try out techniques. For this altered playing card, I used 2 Gel Press print scraps that I had, that were too small to put on a card front, but they were also too nice for me to just throw out.

I had made both of these prints during a FB Live for White Rose Crafts. I used a gears stencil for these prints which has since sold out, but you can get a similar one from AALL & Create, called Steam Cogs. I used fluid acrylics from Golden and Deco Art Media too.

I pulled out the Steampunk Alchemist set from AALL & Create once again, and chose a lightbulb to put on the altered card. I stamped it with VersaFine Clair ink in Twilight, and then applied clear embossing powder so that it wouldn't smudge. The paint that's on the paper from the gel print makes the surface slick, so if you don't dry the ink, it could smudge easily. Using an embossing powder ensures that the ink is completely dry and won't move. I wanted to seal the edges of the playing card and add more texture so I used an ultra thick clear embossing enamel that I had in my stash and applied a few coats around the edges. It looks like water.

I really love those little green marquise shapes near the light bulb....they look like it's the light shining from the bulb, even though it was originally part of a cog. Altering these cards is fun and pretty fast, since there's not a lot of room to work on. Have you altered playing cards before? White Rose Crafts is going to be closing the shop for the summer, in preparation for a brand new website! Stock up while you can! Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We at White Rose welcome your comments and questions, but please keep them clean and kind! Thanks!